Friday, January 25, 2013

...never buy handmade too cheap.

I think everyone who buys consciously handmade is not buying it cause it is so cheap. Naturally we all like to find a good deal so I guess you will just have set the criteria to define what 'a good deal' means to you.
I have a concrete example right here:
Expecting a baby I needed a whole lot of things I never thought of before. And also things that you already got, but that, well, an adjusted version would come handy. A diaper bag!
Yes, yes, basically I could use just any big messenger bag, but with all the little things it will contain and having a little human to care about.... I want to be organised and I don't want to have to search for things.
So I went off to some stores and looked around. 60-100€ for a branded bag. A well made bag, but a bag made in China, India, Vietnam.... by someone who have worked hard, under conditions I don't know nothing about and who will probably not have gotten even 1/10 of that price as a salary.
So I went online and had a look on Etsy. There is tons of people who offer diaper bags and I hit the 'like' button on all the designs I liked.
In a second round I went back to my favourits to compare all those bags....aesthetically and of cause based on the price. I noticed that I had marked bags at the price range from $25-$150. Now it was time to compare: "What do I get for that money?!" followed by: "What do I actually need?!"
And by the time I had all that figured out I had ~4bags left. So I again ranked them by looks and price and then decided that I want a cotton bag and not something made of laminated material.
3bags left.
I liked them all, so of cause, I went by price.....I want the best deal!
But there is one more thing you have to consider the price.... just like with the branded bags: Where does the bag come from?
I can understand that someone living in Poland, or Romania can produce the bag slightly cheaper than someone in the USA, France, or Germany. Materials are much likely cheaper and their price has to cover their standard of living, not mine. So knowing for a fact that living is cheaper in e.g. Poland I will not spend 100€ for a Polish bag if I can have a similar one for 75€ made in France. It simply does not feel like I made 'a good deal'. If 75€ is enough for a French bag is a different question and everyone will have to decide for themselves.
So to cut a long story short:
I bought a cotton bag made in USA. It has all the features that where important to me. I could chose the pattern/materials used, so it is customized according to what I like. I paid $96 and I think I made a very good deal cause I figured if I a good bag does cost ~80-90€ from a branded company that can produce for much cheaper, why should I pay less for one of identical quality that has been handmade by someone who has a similar standard of living than me? She offers a competitive price and I understand that this price can't be in the lower section of ~60€ cause the material is really nice heavy cotton and the making takes time...even it you are skilled in sewing and do it a lot faster than me. On the contrary! At a price of 60€ I would wonder about how she did it. Is it really cotton? Did she really do it herself? Maybe there a cheaply pre-fabricated elements?

Well, let me tell you: This bag is REALLY nice. It arrived today and I am very happy with the quality. Nice and sturdy, with all the compartments we will need. Washable and just my style! Not too faminine (the man would not what to be seen carrying a womans bag) neither too clichée 'baby bag', or too clichée  'It's a (baby) boy!'
So thank you Nancy! I will recommend your shop and service :D

Customised diaper bag bought at www.fromnancy.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment